Plum led a 12 month study, working with Farncombe, to assess the options for future use of UHF spectrum in the EU – with a focus on the case for and against a converged mobile/DTT platform. The study involved:
- Wide consultation with, and three workshops for, industry players
- A detailed assessment of how audio-visual services might be delivered in the EU over the next 15 years
- Identification of a range of options for use of the UHF spectrum by DTT and mobile platforms
- Evaluation of these option in terms of costs and benefits and of public broadcasting objectives after taking account of the considerable uncertainty inherent in future market developments
- Recommendations on regulatory policy and change at the EU level.