This study informed Ofcom’s strategic review of UHF spectrum between 420 and 470 MHz. The band was licensed to a range of users scattered across the frequencies and was operated in a reverse transmit / receive configuration to band plans deployed in Europe increasing the potential for cross-border interference.
The study identified potential demand and options for the ongoing access to and use of the 420 to 470 MHz bands through a number of scenarios, namely:
- Incumbent growth under the current band configuration
- Expansion (or reduction) of emergency services’ use of the band
- Incumbent growth leading to band reversal
- Deployment of managed networks in the band
- Introduction of LTE 450 in the band.
As part of the study the licensing trends were analysed and interviews with a wide range of industry stakeholders were held. The report has been published by Ofcom and can be found at http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/420-470-mhz/annexes/aegis-report.pdf.